You Are Reading

OUGD602 — Placement — Analogue Part 2 — Week 1 & 2

For my second placement at Analogue I was given two tasks to complete in the studio while I was there at the same time as being involved in studio feedback of current briefs.

I had to manage time well as I was there during Easter which meant a bank holiday weekend in-between it. Monday - Thursday and then Tuesday to Thursday.

My first task that took a bigger priority was to develop what I had left behind with the Revere branding and identity and my less important but extremely fun project was to design a beer label using typography with the theme of northern folklore.

I started right back at the development and spent approximately four days on Revere and three days on the beer design.

Revere:

I developed a concept and then designed three different logo variations for it before presenting them on design boards that I could give to Barry.













Beer Label:

The quote I was given was 'White horses ride the waves as Unicorns rise from beneath'

East coast fishermen are used to the heavy waves (or ‘white horses’) they will also tell you of the Narwhal they sometimes net by mistake with its eight foot horn thrashing about the ship.

My idea was to build a scene of typography by hand drawing it all and then enhancing it digitally. I used the scales of the printable bottle area and got to work.










I really loved producing this piece of work as I hadn't had my hand at illustration to this degree for a while. I left everything in the server folders so Barry could look over it when he got back to the studio the day after I left.

As great as the studio experience was, this time at the studio was a little disappointing.

Unlike last time where I was given a variety of smaller jobs to complete for clients within the studio which the studio valued enough to pay me £200 along with the experience of studio-feedback at a much higher level than university's, I only had these two things to do which neither of them were true live briefs. 

When I approached Barry about the payment for the placement he reacted rather negatively and wasn't even aware of the job advert that the studio manager, Hattie had published. He refused all responsibility for the advert and made it clear that payment should always be brought up before anything and that I should of made it clear I was under the impression that I was getting minimum wage.

As much as I agree I should of made that assumption clear, I feel that as a creative director, Barry handled this situation very immaturely and unprofessionally and left me feeling like I had spent two weeks working towards two projects that weren't taken entirely seriously as well as not being paid for the time.

To finish on a positive note I feel that my practice at the studio has enhanced the way I deal with feedback and develop projects from that, as well as my focus and development of design boards. Design at the end of the day must be sold to a potential client and that must be done in a clear, creative and well executed format that makes the client think in the desired way.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.